I'm slowly forgetting my Malay
I remember struggling to learn it at first.
One day in primary school, I may (or may not) have been fooled by a boy who told me that a pencil I dropped on the floor was his not mine. And I couldn't reply because I didn't know enough Malay. So I let him have the pencil (but that may be coz I was super shy back then...old memory, bad memory haha)
Then poof, the next thing I knew, my sentences were peppered with Malay words and I stopped nearly failing every subject conducted in that language and actually started doing well at school.
I even remember that apart from my aunt tutoring us, we learned a lot from reading....
..comic books hahaha
Dragonball taught my brothers and I Malay. I base that on the fact that one of the first things I was proficient at was using "cis" and "bedebah" :)
Fast forward to a couple years out of high school where I no longer have to write essays. I don't even remember when to put a "me-" or a "-kan" anymore. And my friends and I had a hard time trying to remember how to say laugh in Malay (it's ketawa)
And recently, Moo pointed out that we don't really know any really vulgar Malay swear words.
There are words in Indian, Chinese and English that I rarely use because well, I don't like swearing without reason but that's not the case for BM.
I always thought cis and bedebah counted as swear words...hmm
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment