Monday, October 26, 2009

A little bit surprised...

...that THIS oil spill off the West Australian coast is still around. I remember reading about it early on in the semester (I haven't been reading the papers as diligently since). Several weeks later and it's still leaking O.O

...that people actually attack other people with acid. It's like a thing out of a Hong Kong drama. Ouch! Poor girl was blinded by it :(

...that the there's a "budget for 1Malaysia". Yet, the news report doesn't really mention what measures will be taken to integrate the country, other than providing "a retirement scheme for the self employed, called the 1Malaysia Retirement Scheme." Unless of course, we've renamed the country to 1Malaysia in support of that concept -_-
In all fairness, I'm not really in the mood to look up Malaysia's 2010 budget right now to see what the government is planning.

...that it has been proven that if you give birth in an aircraft, your child gets free flights for life . I foresee a surge of pregnant ladies on board more AirAsia flights.

...that Peta wants us to stop visiting zoos.

...that Australia may be heading into a famine. I would have brushed off this news article as being too doom and gloom to be true but after all the research I've been doing for a subject, I'm inclined to believe that it has some truth. Farmland becomes less fertile over time and water is required (amongst other stuff) to rehabilitate it. And in a water-scarce Australia, that puts pressure on rivers and lakes that may not get their environmental flows and...well, basically Australia may eventually lack land to support its agricultural needs.

I could go on and on with the previous line of thought but it gets depressing. And it would just be whining without thinking of a solution.

Hm, talking about solutions, there's this big hoo-hah about the UN Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen and there's a bunch of events that's been going on leading up to it. These events generally are to pressure world leaders that the general population would like to see strong action being taken about climate issues.

Like the Youth Decide vote that 35000+ Aussie youths voted in with 91.5% voting that they prefer at 40% reduction in emissions. And 350.org's International Day of Climate Action to raise awareness that took place globally like in Sydney, Taiwan and even Malaysia..although I can't find any newslinks for that. Btw, The number represents the 350ppm that is considered to be the safe upper limit for CO2 in the atmosphere (if you didn't know about it, well, now you do! hehe)

Except that I think too much attention is being focused on CO2 only. There are other greenhouse gases out there too! And while it may be too much to ask the world to suddenly stop anthropologically emitting these gases, we must not fall into the trap of thinking that simply reducing our CO2 emissions is the solution.

So um...we should fart less. Haha! Sorry, I was thinking that the post has become a bit too heavy plus I kept thinking about methane which is a major GHG contributor (it stores more heat than CO2) and then it made me think about cows farting

*shakes head*

Because of that, I keep wanting to snicker whenever I hear about greenhouse gases in lectures and forums.

PS: I just came across this:

For every person who takes the Monash Environmental Pledge, Monash University will add $5 towards on-campus renewable energy schemes!!!


Cool! Go pledge here if you're a Monash Uni student.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header image by sabrinaeras @ Flickr