Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Our shortcomings

For the first time in a long time I logged into Windows Live Messenger.
And the headlines that greeted me was "Twelve dead in Kashmir, Christian school torched".

And the remark "that's what religion does" rings in my head.
Which I would only agree to if you define it as a group of people who share the same set of beliefs about what governs the universe.
But I prefer to say that this is what "man" does.

Here's another example of what men do: Aussie lawyer smokes pages of Bible and Koran.
I understand the lawyer's humor but to many people around the world, it's very provocative and hurtful. Ditto with what the pastor tried to do. And again, ditto with what is happening in Kashmir.

So while you go on about how atheism is the way to go because it avoids the mistakes that Christianity or any other beliefs make, I'll beg to differ. Often men (and I also mean women) are blinded by what they think is the truth regardless of whether they believe in a god, gods or none at all...and they will not foresee the consequences of their actions. And often, it's really to further their own agendas. In the end, it leads to a cycle of provoking each other until someone backs down. But in the meantime, the damage is done. Lives are lost. The peace is disturbed.

What really irks me though is that I came across this seemingly well-meaning bakery in the countryside that I thought had a very good vision. Then I found out that it begun because God warned them “In the not too distant future, darkness would come across the land of Australia in the form of an Islamic fundamentalist invasion from our north, and many natural disasters would fall on the nation as well”.

Right.

The thought of it all frustrates me...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header image by sabrinaeras @ Flickr