Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bigger pictures

I have to constantly remind myself not to expect everyone to be exactly like me.

`I like pursuing random bits of knowledge till I'm bored. And sometimes I get frustrated that other people can just live their lives without wanting to BE in their lives. Get involved! Find out what's going on and how and why and all those other questions. And then I remember that sometimes, people have other more important things on their plates that stops them from asking all these questions. And that I was born with a curious mind.

`I like waking up early when I travel. I've spent the money and time getting to somewhere different and I want to make sure I get the full experience. I didn't quite like it when my travel buddies choose to sleep in but I've learnt to compromise by just going out and walking by myself.

It's quite fun actually.

`I never quite got the whole "I don't want to be first" thing. Growing up, I knew there was this rule that you never sit in the front row, and you never go first for anything voluntary. And I think at one point I started thinking that was pointless.

Yes, it's quite teacher's pet-ish but when I found us wasting a lot of time playing the "you go first" game when it came to doing this long jump thingy at school, I decided I'll take the plunge and just go first. It has sort of gone on from there and that's why I usually don't hesitate to be the first to share now, in the hopes that whoever doesn't want to go first can now feel free-er to go second.

I get it though now. We grew up learning not to do those kind of things, usually so we don't appear over-eager for something. Or people without those inhibitions are afraid that they speak too much and don't give chance to others. So I don't mind it too much anymore..though, I'm trying to be more careful with my own words. I'm so quick to react but slow to think :(

`Sometimes I get a bit frustrated by the I-don't-know's when you ask someone to share when we're in a group. It's sort of expected that you'll have to do it anyway. I mean, as a Christian, I believe we're called to be ready to share our testimony whenever...and I like being prepared.

But then again, I've come to realise that I think the way I blog. Like, I compartmentalise things that happen in my day as if I were going to blog about it. Which kinda explains why I have stories and stuff ready to share at a moment's notice..except since I never got to give it structure, it tends to be all over the place.


It's so easy to measure other people to my own standards but so much harder to measure up to theirs.Learning to take a step back and look at the bigger picture is something I'm striving to do this year. Hm, I tried last year but I sort of stopped by mid-year...thankfully, I get to try again hehe

And I think it's going a bit better than last year.
And I feel that it'll be different this year :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header image by sabrinaeras @ Flickr